Using JATS XML
We recommend creating XML directly to our schema rather than trying to convert JATS (NLM) formatted XML as we don’t currently have a reliable way to convert it.
There are two unreliable options available in beta.
- Upload NLM JATS-formatted XML files into our system using the web deposit form
- Use our basic JATS-to-Crossref XSLT conversion and then upload using the admin tool or https post.
Upload NLM JATS-formatted XML files using the web deposit form
- Start at the web deposit form
- Under data type selection, choose NLM file
- Log in using your Crossref account credentials
- Click on select file and select your NLM or JATS file
- Enter the email address that should receive the all-important submission log email
- Add the DOI in the relevant field (if your XML contains
<article-id pub-id-type="doi"> you can leave the DOI field empty)
- Add the URL in the relevant field (if your XML contains
<self-uri> and that URI contains the URL you intend to register with your DOI, you can leave the URL field empty)
- Click Upload NLM Data to submit
You’ll receive a submission log when your deposit is complete. Please review the log to be sure your DOIs have been updated successfully.
NLM JATS to Crossref conversion
We have a basic JATS-to-Crossref XSLT conversion that can be used to transform NLM JATS-formatted XML into Crossref-friendly XML. You may download the .xsl file for local use.
- The journal title used for Crossref deposits be included in the
- The DOI should be included in
<article-id> with attribute pub-id-type=‘doi’
- The DOI URL should be included in
- The JATS document type definition (DTD) does not have an appropriate place to include the email element used in Crossref deposits - this needs to be added manually.